Forums  > General  > amusing taleb talk ...  
     
Page 2 of 3Goto to page: 1, [2], 3 Prev Next
Display using:  

nuno


Total Posts: 278
Joined: Jul 2006
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 13:11
strange indeed. a meltdown of Iam*r*c proportions. i revised (up) my rating of this thread.

Tradenator


Total Posts: 1599
Joined: Sep 2006
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 13:13
Magette, you insulted nobody in this thread, don't worry.

Maggette


Total Posts: 1251
Joined: Jun 2007
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 13:16
Thanx Tradenator...
found out what's going on in another thread......yeah...phorum warriors unleashedSmiley

Ich kam hierher und sah dich und deine Leute lächeln, und sagte mir: Maggette, scheiss auf den small talk, lass lieber deine Fäuste sprechen...

AIC


Total Posts: 167
Joined: Apr 2008
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 14:43
Taleb is a cunt and all this talk of phreaks and stalkers is turning me on.

Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose- Master Yoda

RFMontraz
NP Italian Stallion

Total Posts: 2021
Joined: Mar 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 15:49

ahahahha what an implosion!


Make loans, not war

Energetic
Forum Captain

Total Posts: 1518
Joined: Jun 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 15:51
Occam,

It was never a secret that FDAX set this site up. There was never an attempt to conceal it as there was never any need to. If you failed to process publicly available info you should first and foremost get pissed with yourself.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong. - H. L. Mencken

Path Integral


Total Posts: 441
Joined: Dec 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 21:22

Occam,

Are you tick or just trying hard?

The sole purpose of the setup was to keep tossers like you circle jerking @ Wankmott.com
I think nobody here might be remotely interested in your pittifull day trader real identity. Reading DeMark on options trading and fbr don't even qualify you for the research desk of a Zimbabwean tier3.
ride your elliot wave out of here

Just to annoy him I wouldn't ban him Piss

Bleeding Fannie: Hank to the rescue

shavinOccam


Total Posts: 210
Joined: Oct 2005
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 23:31
you don't want a reply to this, do you?

shavinOccam


Total Posts: 210
Joined: Oct 2005
 
Posted: 2008-09-09 23:39
energetic,

right. my fault. i really didn't get it. actually even if i had
i'd never expected someone to act like that. this watchdog
behavior. but you guys here seem to enjoy that. amazing.

FDAXHunter
Founding Member

Total Posts: 8372
Joined: Mar 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-10 09:05
Nobody here is being watched, you dumbass. You were put on special watch because of your... other identity.... capisce?

The Figs Protocol.

AIC


Total Posts: 167
Joined: Apr 2008
 
Posted: 2008-09-10 09:40
.

Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose- Master Yoda

Energetic
Forum Captain

Total Posts: 1518
Joined: Jun 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-10 15:21
What we enjoy here, Occam, is the sense of community. If you like to be a part of it you're welcome. Otherwise the door is wide open.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong. - H. L. Mencken

rowdyroddypiper
NP Wrestling Champion

Total Posts: 1181
Joined: Apr 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-10 18:14

"Taleb suggests to turn this on its head and instead start with the maximum drawdown you are willing to accept. Say 7% p.a. Then invest the remaining 93% in fixed income zero-risk instruments (that will be cash / bonds)."

I know this may not be true for everyone, but part of the reason to you know have a strategy, is to be able to raise money from investors to implement the strategy.  I have a feeling that explaining to an investor, I want them to give me money, so that I can put 93% of it in risk free and the other 7% into lotto tickets would not go over well.  Especially if I wanted to charge them fees on the 93% which is tied up risk free.  Which you know is kind of like the point of raising money from third parties in the first place.  Am I being thick or wouldn't I just rather the guy run his strategy and I allocate him what I'm comfortable with an manage my cash/risk free bucket myself?

 


Late Nineties Bedroom Rock for the Missionaries

white


Total Posts: 72
Joined: Jul 2007
 
Posted: 2008-09-10 19:26
Rowdyroddypiper - yes.

Why pay a manager's fee for 100 when he only works with 7?

Anyway. There are funds out there that offers a complete package - that will be a mix of bonds and stocks - to fit a specific risk profile. For most risk profiles it is relevant to have a portion of capital in cash / risk-free bonds.

Veroniq - approximations - like monkeys - get used to them :-p

BTW: The likelihood of a two-standard deviation drawdown is 2.5% and not 5%. I thought that was a bit worse.


jungle
Chief Rhythm Officer
CSD LLC
Total Posts: 3169
Joined: Jul 2004
 
Posted: 2008-09-11 02:55

What we enjoy here, Occam, is the sense of community.

That, and "a high signal/noise ratio" --- which is absent in most other internet-based discussions of phynance. 


"Where is capital safe? The mattress is looking pretty good right now." UBS FX Sales

HankScorpio


Total Posts: 480
Joined: Mar 2007
 
Posted: 2008-10-29 14:15
saw this earlier today...

NT with Mandelbrot

Real alphas don't get eaten.

pj


Total Posts: 3530
Joined: Jun 2004
 
Posted: 2008-10-29 15:47
Piss
"The world is not as yesterday"
Yep, it is constantly changing (as always)

вакансия "Программист Психологической службы" -але! у нас ошибко! не работает бля-бля-бля -вы хотите об этом поговорить?

polysena


Total Posts: 1064
Joined: Nov 2007
 
Posted: 2008-10-29 16:11
Apart from everything I  wonder how BM let himself embark in this interview... .. I must say the difference in demeanor between them is striking, BM looks like he is lost in himself almost all the time.. is it because he is trying to grasp the deep meaning of what NT  has to say? ... it wouldn't have changed much if he weren't present.

It takes a lot of chewing to make a good cow... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiIO1qsO7W8&feature=related

pj


Total Posts: 3530
Joined: Jun 2004
 
Posted: 2008-10-29 16:19
He's selling something (another book maybe?)

I loved when Benoit poignantly didn't deny that butterfly effect is NOT his invention.

And kept saying "impossible is nothing" (even him giving a handjob to Nassim).

вакансия "Программист Психологической службы" -але! у нас ошибко! не работает бля-бля-бля -вы хотите об этом поговорить?

kronon


Total Posts: 176
Joined: Nov 2007
 
Posted: 2008-10-29 21:46

Benoits comment "I sleep better than Nassim" seemed about right given he could barely stay awake during the interview.


Investing your money with a greedy maniac who would throttle a nun for 50p, still offers the best prospect of a healthy, long-term return, experts say.

Strabao


Total Posts: 13
Joined: Jan 2008
 
Posted: 2008-10-30 05:15
Taleb, while not an idiot, is clearly an overconfident prick.
He's like the uber-Dupire : never done anything relevant on the markets, yet giving lessons to everyone.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth.

hector
Banned

Total Posts: 73
Joined: Jan 2008
 
Posted: 2008-11-02 21:29
Taleb is a jerk.

It's almost been worth this depression to find out how little our big men know - Will Rogers

AndyM


Total Posts: 2336
Joined: Mar 2004
 
Posted: 2008-11-03 09:50
Thank you for your insights, Hector...I don't know what we'd do without you...but come to think of it, I'd be willing to find out.

How long will they kill our profits, While we stand aside and look? Some say it's just a part of it; We've got to remark the book.

Corey


Total Posts: 237
Joined: Feb 2008
 
Posted: 2008-11-03 23:03
[Redacted]

"Then there was the man who drowned crossing a stream with an average depth of six inches." W. I. E. Gates

Mightly


Total Posts: 3
Joined: Nov 2007
 
Posted: 2008-11-04 02:52
Long time lurker here ... thought I might just throw in that although I thoroughly enjoyed Taleb's book it was just the latest in a long and occasionally illustrious line of people (Hume, Popper) who have denied the principle of induction. His popularization was welcome but choosing BM as a mentor is intellectually disingenuous - providing some topically sexy academic flavor (chaos) in response to BM's popularist flirtation with the markets previously. All good things, but to be understood in their context.

Anyway I don't want to rant because I certainly couldn't write a better book, just to add to the forum the idea that Taleb should not be viewed as an originator for the ideas he claims to represent, more accurately a modern exponent for some really good ideas that are already out there.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 2 of 3Goto to page: 1, [2], 3 Prev Next